If you want to learn more about Roșia Montană, the mining project and the protests against it, you’ve come to the right place.
It is fairly difficult to find information about Roșia Montană written in English and even more difficult to find objective descriptions of the area since everybody is taking sides in the conflict. It could be that the only information that is not particularly biased is the Wikipedia page: Roșia Montană on Wikipedia.
NGOs and institutions that oppose the mining project:
These are organized opinions; people who invest the most time in documenting the evolution of the events.
Facebook pages and groups:
This is the voice of the people who are tired of standing aside; their personal opinions, wishes and hopes.
Join a group, like a page, ask a question. Do not be worried about all the posts in Romanian; these groups did not get much attention from foreigners, but if you ask there will be someone to answer.
- Group: Save Rosia Montana | Brasov
- Group: Save Rosia Montana
- Group: Denmark against injustice in Romania
- Page: We love Rosia Montana
- Page: Rosia Montana in UNESCO World Heritage
- Page: Alburnus Maior
Websites with various information on Roșia Montană:
This section has links to websites that present the Roșia Montană issue on different levels. You will find news, documents, pictures, videos and comments of persons interested in the subject.
- Chronicle of the Romanian Autumn
- The Fight for Roșia Montană blog (Romanian)
- Visit Roșia Montană blog (Romanian)
- Statement of significance: Cârnic Massif, Roșia Montană (pdf)
- Save Roșia Montană UK
- Stephen McGrath blog
Other articles in the international media about the subject:
- Romania shuts door on Gabriel’s giant Rosia Montana gold mine (Financial Post, 11.11.2013)
- Roșia Montană, More Precious Thank Gold (WorldWatch Institute Europe, 08.11.2013)
- Romania split over Europe’s biggest gold mine (Aljazeera, 27.10.2013)
- Romania: How Multinationals Gain Support (Huffington Post, 25.10.2013)
- Romania on fire: The Romanian Autumn expands (iReport CNN, 21.10.2013)
- ‘The Arab Spring, the Turkish Summer, The Romanian Autumn’: Romanian protests as a model of peaceful demonstration (iReport CNN, 20.10.2013)
- Rosia Montana protest in Cluj-Napoca (iReport CNN, 20.10.2013)
- Rosia Montana and Dirty Politics (Huffington Post, 18.10.2013)
- Romanian Canadians Protest Against Rosia Montana Mining Project (+Photos) (Epoch Times, 08.10.2013)
- Romanians protest in Trafalgar Square against cyanide mining in Rosia Montana (The independent, 29.09.2013)
- Why Romania Needed Roșia Montană (24.09.2013)
- Romania’s Powder Keg: Mine Project Launches Protest Movement (Spiegel, 20.09.2013)
- Political protests take the shine off Romanian gold project (Financial Times, 19.09.2013)
- Romania’s Gentle Revolution (16.09.2013)
- Romania expected to reject gold mine following week of protest (The Guardian, 10.09.2013)
- Romanians protest against mining project (Euronews, 02.09.2013)
We fight against them:
If you want to learn about the arguments in favor of the mining project visit the company pages.
…and they are the ones who should protect us:
These are our leaders. Some of them have been involved since the beginning of the project. Some of them have to decide the future of Roșia Montană. All of them should be held accountable.
- The Special Parliamentary Committee for Rosia Montana
- The Prime Minister
- The Minister of Culture and Cults
- The Minister of Environment and Climate Change
- The Minister Delegate for infrastructure projects of national interest and foreign investments
- The Romanian Presidency
Facts about cyanide and cyanide mining
This section contains links explaining more about cyanide, cyanide mining and why it should be banned.
- Banning Cyanide from Mining in the European Union (PDF)
- The necessity of European legislation against cyanide-based mining
- Why cyanide‐based precious metal mining should be banned in Europe (PDF)
- Gold cyanidation
- Gold cyanidation ban
Articles and videos about different other cyanide gold-mining projects:
- 2000 Baia Mare cyanide spill (also in Romania)
- Death of a river (BBC)
- Ok Tedi environmental disaster (Papua New Guinea)
- BHP admits Ok Tedi mine is environmental disaster
- Aid case study: Peru’s Yanacocha gold mine
- Open Pit documentary about the Yanacocha Gold Mine